Jul 16, 2011

Fake Antivirus – Security Shield

Recently, One of my friends email account got hacked and using his email Id lot of mails with malware links were sent to people in his address book. I too received a mail from his account and when I examined the mail it contained the below link,

hxxp://www.raby-f.fr/AFFIN/live-in-troncais/modules/Search/myhome.html

When I clicked on the link it redirected me to a page where it started scanning my system.

Initially it was like scanning my system. After checking the above link I found it containing a java script to display fake scan message with the help of Gif files.

When I clicked on the fake scan it asked me to download a file with name vclean.exe and run it.

I downloaded the file and started analyzing using Olldbg. After traversing few call's I found it creating a mutex “I’m here”. Generally mutex are created to make sure only one instance of the program is running on the system.

It creates a file pkgib.exe (random file name) in the local settings\Application Data folder.

Creates a RunOnce entry to survive the reboot. So that whenever infected system is rebooted, the rogue program runs automatically.

Using taskkill.exe it kills the running vclean.exe process. Pings Loopback address 127.0.0.1 to check whether the network configurations are working fine. Then it gets self deleted and spawns up pkgib.exe

CommandLine = "\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe\" /c taskkill /f /pid 1684 & ping -n 3 127.1 & del /f /q \"C:\\Doc\\Admin\\Des\\vclean.exe\" & start C:\\DOC\\ADMIN\\LOC\\APP\\pkgib.exe -f"

Once the pkgib.exe is executed it displays the below shown alert message,

Once you click on the “OK” button a new window opens up with the title “Security Shield” and it starts scanning your system and displays fake scan results. It says your system is infected and several threats have been identified by the application.

It won’t allow you to work on the infected system whenever you try to access something, it shows annoying pop-ups like Warning! Threats found…Activate Security Shield..Also, it won’t allow any executable to run.


Once you click on “activate Secuirty Shield”. it takes you to a fake payment gateway where it prompts you to enter all your Credit card related information.

Then it sends all those collected information to the remote hacker.

Recovery: To recover from this rogue antivirus I request you to restart your system in safe mode. Select Run and type local settings\Application Data and delete the file with random file name or with this icon
and restart your system. Now you can proceed with your normal work.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks sir, for all this information. Would you mind if I share this info in my blog. Pls reply to this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Biswas - Of course you can share this. This blog is mainly for exchanging information among people.

    ReplyDelete